At a regular meeting of the Conference of the Universities of Serbia held on December 1st 2017, Biljana Kosanović, team member of the BE-OPEN project at the University of Belgrade, presented the BE-OPEN project, its main goals and activities. The meeting was attended by rectors of all accredited universities in Serbia. Conference of the Universities of Serbia is responsible for coordinating actions among Serbian universities by determining common policies and realizing common interests. The members are all accredited universities in Serbia, both state-founded and private.
Within its jurisdiction, the University Conference:
• considers issues of common interest for the promotion of teaching, scientific and artistic activities at the university;
• harmonizes attitudes and coordinates the activities of universities, especially in the field of enrollment policy;
• gives opinion on standards for assessing the quality of educational, scientific, artistic and professional work;
• proposes a list of professional, academic and scientific titles from the respective fields and abbreviations of these names;
• proposes measures to improve the position of universities and student standards;
• proposes to the National Council for Higher Education of scientific, artistic and professional fields within the field of science;
• proposes to the National Council for Higher Education the minimum requirements for the election of teachers, having in mind the appropriate criteria of the ministry competent for scientific research;
• gives the National Council an opinion on the norms and standards of work of higher education institutions, as well as on the material means for their realization;
• carries out the process of determining the proposal and proposes 12 members of the National Council from the rank of full professors, top scientists in the ranks of scientific advisers, artists with internationally recognized works or a recognized contribution to national culture, taking into account the representation of educational, scientific and artistic fields and representation institute within the university;
• proposes the dismissal of a member of the National Council in cases provided by the Law;
• carries out the procedure for determining the proposal and proposes to members of the Commission for accreditation and quality control, in accordance with the Law;
• proposes the dismissal of a member of the Commission for Accreditation and Quality Assurance in cases provided by the Law;
• passes the Statute and other acts necessary for functioning;
• also considers other issues of common interest for universities, in accordance with the Law, and makes decisions about them.